June 25-26, 2016

By June 26, 2016 No Comments

Finally a weekend with what appeared to be two really nice days in a row! Light wind, sunny, warm… it is summer. This weekend we were focused on training with both Prism 2 CCR trimix class dives as well as Technical Decompression Diver class dives. For me, this meant two days of diving open circuit!

The boys modeling Gauntlet and NAUI Tech tee shirts.

The boys modeling Gauntlet and NAUI Tech tee shirts.

On Saturday, we were heading to the New York Central 14-2, which is a work lighter in about 115-120 fsw. The wreck is small, but has some fun swim throughs in the interior. Visibility can be tricky there; like many wrecks off Nahant/Boston visibility can vary pretty significantly with the tide. I was hoping we’d have decent visibility. We loaded up with the group and headed out. We had a nice ride out, and for sure knew this was going to be a great day on the water. When we arrived, we dropped in a shot line with plans to tie in a mooring (that we intend to remove later this summer). Once the shot was in, Dave and Jessica splashed to tie in the line. Before too long, the bag was up and we were good to go. We got the granny lines in and the next waves of divers in. When they returned, they reported good conditions with about 10-12 feet of visibility. Believe it or not, that’s good for this wreck.

I suited up with my group and splashed in. We did a few checks on the surface and then began our descent down to the wreck where we were tied into a large cleat on the port corner on the stern. We got oriented and then took a swim over the deck, did a few swim-throughs, rounded the wreck swimming out to the bow, returning to the stern for a look at the rudder and then passed back over the wreck before calling it a dive. I thought the visibility was pretty decent, maybe even 15 feet of so as our dive went on. The wreck, like many, continues to decay. The openings have gotten larger, bulkheads have collapsed and the stern hull is fairly open on the starboard side. We did a short deco and headed up. Everyone did great and it was a good dive.

For the afternoon we headed back out to the wreck of the USS NH for some skills and drills. To make it more challenging, the surge was running fairly hard and we were getting pushed around at 30 feet quite a bit. Nevertheless, we got the skills work done—with no jammed reels either!

Sunday rolled around quickly and before long we were back at it for Day 2. Another nice day of weather was upon us and our destination was the wreck of the Terra Nova, off Twin Light and Cape Ann. We got off the dock and had a nice ride up to the wreck. The wind was light and the tide was outgoing, so we had a current pushing us along. There is a lot of stuff floating in the water—tree branches, debris, and rather gross looking muck which I think is the pollen most of us have been choking on the past few weeks.

Anyway, we got up to the wreck and located the mooring. It needed some unfouling before we could tie off so Dave and Feng splashed on the mooring and got it freed up. Then we tied off and got the next groups in. When they came back, they had another good conditions report. It wasn’t the spectacular visibility we had the first time we visited this wreck last year, but still pretty good. They said about 15 feet and a little dim. I suited up with Josh and Tim and splashed. We dropped down to the wreck where we were tied into the tripod mast. After a quick orientation, we headed off for a few laps around the wreck, poking about the debris. The Terra Nova has further collapsed since last year, but it’s hanging in there. It will be a good dive for a few years until it goes the way of the Nina T and turns into a rubble pile.

I thought the visibility was diminishing throughout our dive and I would give it a murky 15 feet, maybe a little more. As we ascended through the deco, the water got a little cloudier and it was maybe 10 feet in the shallows on deco. All in all though, it was a great dive. The visibility didn’t make me feel too bad about having left my camera behind. We cruised back to Beverly with the wind picking up out of the SE. We got back, unloaded, cleaned the gear and called it a weekend!

See more photos on Facebook (Facebook account not required):