August 25-26, 2018

By August 26, 2018 August 28th, 2018 No Comments

Scott dropping into the Poling engine room. Visibility was not too good, sadly.

After a turbulent week of weather, I was not sure what to expect of the weekend. It seemed at times we were going to get blown out, then we were looking OK. Either way, we were going to be dealing with S-SE wind, which always seems to bring crappy visibility. On Saturday we were heading to the Poling, which it seems like we’ve been diving a lot this summer in part due to weather along with a few scheduled trips. Sunday we had a private trip. The weather was OK on Saturday and things were a-go so we loaded up with an eager group and headed up to Cape Ann.

As we got past the islands, the seas were definitely lumpy, and there was a decent swell and surge. In fact, it was one of those days where the sea conditions aren’t that good and for no apparent reason. The wind was fairly light. It was just… crummy. Anyway, we got on the Poling and grabbed the break-end mooring which is chained in (good job, Mike). We got the first groups in the water and then awaited our turn to dive. Scott, Tim and I were diving today and I was bringing the camera no matter what since I feel I haven’t been bringing it along due to low visibility on too many dives lately. Anyway, Dave returned and confirmed the visibility was so-so. Ah, oh well, the camera was going anyway.

We suited up and splashed. There was some weird, strong current mid-water but on the wreck it was fairly tranquil. The visibility was maybe 15-20 feet but murky. We made our way aft and into the wreck where we did a leisurely tour. We were last down and another boat was on site so let’s just say the vis was pretty trashed inside. We popped out, headed to the break to tour around the hold, then did our sand lap around the wreck. The resident wolffish was not to be seen today. Coming up the current was even stronger and we literally had to pull ourselves up from about 50 feet to 20 feet. The weight that is usually at 30 feet on the granny was at 20 feet when we got to it. We did a short deco and called it a dive. The seas were definitely choppy coming up and I jammed up my wrist hard on the ladder taking a swing. In fact, it was exactly the kind of situation that can result in a broken wrist so I breathed a little sigh of relief that it just hurt like heck but that was all. We headed in and watched the wind blow all afternoon, wondering what Sunday would bring. Thankfully, it did lay down though by morning.

On Sunday, we were offshore doing project work. More about that soon.