News

June 23-24, 2018

By June 24, 2018 No Comments

After a beautiful week of weather, the arrival of the weekend brought an “unsettled” stretch of weather. The typical “all over the place” NOAA forecast wasn’t helping, but we felt we’d get out Saturday, which was the more questionable of the two days. On Saturday we were scheduled for the New York Central 14ii (NYC14-2), the steam lighter off Nahant in 120 fsw. And on Sunday we had another trip to the Snetind.

The now exposed steam engine on the New York Central 14ii.

Saturday arrived and it was a cold and raw day, overcast with off/on rain. I had pants and a sweatshirt on – so much for the arrival of summer! The wind was light, but predicted to pick up. We discussed and decided to continue with the plan of going to the NYC14-2 with a bailout option of going to the Herbert. We were told the mooring on the NYC14-2 had disappeared so we had to factor in a tie-in/pull into the weather. The water was fairly calm on the way out so we continued to the NYC14-2 where we discovered a mooring, go figure. So, we tied off to the mooring and got underway with diving. Naturally though as soon as we arrived the wind picked up to about 15 knots out of the E-NE. So, the seas began to build in. When Dave was back he reported good visibility and everyone agreed it was camera worthy, so I brought it along. I was keen to get some photos of the recent collapse.

Scott and I suited up and splashed. The visibility was not bad for this wreck, about 15 feet but murky and photos were more challenging than I expected. We did a tour around and through the remaining intact portions. I think I like this dive more as the wreck is collapsing–more to explore and more interesting features. Anyway, it is very fragile and I’d encourage everyone to be careful poking around inside. Not much is keeping it together. We ascended at the end of our bottom time and did a short deco. By the time we were up, the seas were running pretty good and we had a bouncy ride back to Beverly. Good day of diving though.

 

Tim illuminating the stern hull of the Holmes.

Overnight the wind kept blowing 15-20 kts out of the NE and the seas built in. I began to worry that we’d be calling with a morning cancellation if the weather didn’t follow the forecast and lay down. I did a 0430 check on the weather and the wind had dropped out, but there was going to be some left over ground swell. We decided to head to the Holmes instead of running out to the Snetind, which is right next to the 16 nm E of Boston weather buoy – so a little bit longer run. The conditions were a bit sloppy although it was not terrible. It was again overcast and cold. At one point the wind looked like it was picking up out of the south, so we were sitting weird with an NE swell, incoming tide and South wind. Anyway, the wind actually diminished like they said and as the day went on, it turned into a beautiful day.

The visibility report was “excellent” which I love to hear – so Scott, Tim and I were looking forward to our turn. I brought the camera along too. We did a nice tour of the wreck. The bow continues to collapse and become more disperse. It is definitely getting easier to lose your eye line there and get yourself lost if you swim a bit too far off without a line. I would say visibility was a solid 25 feet with ambient light. Much better than we’ve had on the Snetind the past few weeks. It is weird how inshore wrecks are now having better visibility than the offshore Boston wrecks. Makes you wonder what’s being dumped out there! Anyway, we finished up and headed back to Beverly – as we arrived the sun was out and it was getting very warm! All in all a very good weekend of diving. Now let’s bring the summer weather back!